What is Mental Health? One of the best definitions of mental health was given by one U.S. Surgeon General. He correctly observed that mental health is a state where mental functions are performing successfully, resulting in fulfilling relationships with people around us, productive activities, ability to cope with adversity, and adapt to changes.
Given its advantages, being mentally healthy is really an enviable state! People that are mentally healthy perform their routine activities more easily and report fewer health-related issues. They tend to miss least partially or full days of work and have optimal social functioning. This is reflected in their clear life goals, low helplessness, high levels of intimacy with others and high resilience.
What is Mental Illness?
All the mental disorders that can be diagnosed are considered as mental illness. They are recognized by abnormalities in behaviors, feelings or thinking. There are mental disorders that are highly common – it is estimated that around 46% of adult Americans can be diagnosed with some form of depression, anxiety, thought or behavioral disorders during their lifetime.
Facts about Mental Health You Should Know
- Being mentally healthy is more than just not suffering from a mental illness. It also implies an optimal level of relating to others, feeling, and thinking.
- Optimal mental health enables people to have better social relationships, productivity and medical health.
- Mental illness implies all mental disorders that can be diagnosed, which are recognizable by abnormalities in behavioral patterns, feelings, or thinking.
- Some of the most common types of mental disorders include: depression, anxiety, substance abuse, and behavioral disorders.
- Mental illness does not occur because of one single cause. It stems from a complex group of psychological, environmental, and genetic factors.
- Unpleasant emotions such as anxiety, sadness, moodiness or irritability are experienced by all people from time to time. However, if your thoughts, moods, use of substances or behaviors interfere with your ability to function properly at work or home, socially or physically, mental illness is the likely cause.
- It is not easy to diagnose mental illness as there is no one size – fit all test that definitively implies the presence of mental illness in a person. Health care practitioners are thus gathering comprehensive mental health, family and medical information to be able to diagnose a mental disorder.
- Psychotherapy is widely considered to be the first line of help that can be offered to a person with a mental disorder. It helps individuals suffering from it achieve the highest level of functioning that is possible in their current state.
- Psychotherapy is highly effective in treating a wide range of mental illnesses. That includes group therapy, psycho-education, social rhythm therapy, cognitive therapy etc.
- In the cases of severe symptoms or if there’s no adequate response to a psychotherapy, medications might have a very important role in mental disorder treatments.
Amethyst Azul organization has been formed with a specific goal in mind - to help relieve mental and physical pain and increase access to care to those who need it the most. We believe that with our work, dedication, and the help of our donors, we can make a difference. If you have any inquiry about our program or the ways you can get involved, give us a call at 410-870-5482, or write to us. We are looking forward to hearing from you!